Immigration is all about diversity and cultural enrichment. And this Muslim eatery enriched the UK with a new strain of Ecoli that sent customers to the hospital because handwashing was Haram.
A teenage girl almost died and more than 140 others were taken severely ill after contracting a E.coli in a filthy takeaway where staff did not wash their hands after going to the toilet.Khyber Pass proved nearly as deadly for the English this time around as its original namesake.
142 customers who ate at the Khyber Pass in Hyson Green, Nottingham, suffered with nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea after the outbreak last June, and a 13-year-old girl was left so ill that she spent four nights in hospital.
Had her infection not been treated, it could have been fatal, medics said.
Amjad Bhatti and Mohammed Basit, owners of the Khyber Pass, in Gregory Boulevard, pleaded guilty to seven food hygiene offences and were sentenced today at Nottingham Crown Court.
Prosecuting, Bernard Thorogood said this was only the second recorded case of that particular strain of E.coli in Europe.
He said: "Its only known reservoir is the human gut.
"You realise the way it was transmitted was by use of incorrect hand washing after using the lavatory to defecate.
"A cough can't do it, a handshake could if it's an infected hand which means it was not washed after using the lavatory."
Mr Wesolowski said his condition was also life-threatening.Now obviously Afghanistan and Pakistan are not exactly known for their cleanliness. But there might be a whole other problem here.
"The nurse said I nearly died. I lost loads of water. It felt like my body was 50 stone, because I felt so heavy, like the weight of a car."
The machine operator suffered stomach pains, chronic diarrhoea and vomiting after eating a chicken kebab with salad and chips from the takeaway on June 25 last year.
A customer was refused a wet wipe in a halal-only branch of KFC because they are soaked in alcohol and might offend Muslim diners.Hygiene isn't Halal.
Graham Noakes, 41, said he was astonished when staff at the fast food chain’s outlet in St George’s retail park refused to give him a hand-wipe because it was against its Halal policy.