Germany’s “Rhine in Flames” festival has been overshadowed by sex attacks, local mediasay. After the festival’s fireworks several sexual assaults were reported to the police.
Police investigated several sexual assaults which occurred over the weekend. Three sexual offences were reported to the police overnight Saturday. One was proven false.
Police continued to investigate several sexual offences on Monday that had been reported. An 18-year-old was sexually assaulted in the queue for the toilets. A similar attack is said to have occurred in front of the main stage.
The woman, who was with a group of eight, two of which were women, was isolated and groped. Both cases are still under investigation by police. “Search-relevant descriptions are currently not available,” said police spokesman Simon Rott.
Police were increasingly called upon to intervene throughout the night. By 2:30 am a total of eight people had been taken into custody. In addition to personal injury, police recorded mainly insults and theft offences. In total, emergency services had to operate in 195 cases.
Rhine in Flames is the name of five different firework displays along the river Rhine in Germany. The displays take place annually, at various locations along the river.